Saturday, January 6, 2018

Wrapping up

We woke up to another rainy day for our last full day in Haiti. Once again we weren’t sure how the rain would affect who came to the clinic but we had a busy morning treating patients. I was overwhelmed as I helped treat an 8 month old boy who looked not a day over 4 months. He was malnourished and was in need of better nutrition so that he could grow and become stronger. It was neat to be able to educate on something that seemed so small to me but something that would make a huge difference for him. We also saw several low back pain, general pain, stroke, and arthritis patients. After lunch, Dr. Rodney, the head physician who also is in charge of all the Bethesda clinics, gave us a tour and told us his story of how he became a doctor. His story was very inspiring as it brought this week full circle for me. He said the one thing I know I can do for patients that come in is share my faith and that is the thing that matters most. So my feelings of inadequacy as a therapist at that moment were wiped away knowing that God is in control and I don’t have to have everything put together. The rest of the afternoon we taught a group of local physicians and mid-level nurses the scientific basis and benefit of rehabilitation and how to screen children. We also organized the equipment in the clinic that was donated for the patients in Haiti. Overall, it was a very bittersweet day as we said our goodbyes to some people and left the clinic for the last time. As we leave, I have hope that we have left Julie and the other medical staff with supplies and resources to provide services to the people of Haiti. My prayer is that as patients are treated in the new PT clinic, that they also hear about God’s love and his sovereignty. It is so evident that God’s hand is at work here and I feel eternally grateful to have been a small part of it this week. 
Kristin









No comments:

Post a Comment