Saturday, November 26, 2016

End of the clinic week




That week went by fast! I've thought a few times about our group prayer before we left Springfield, in which Dr. McNeal prayed for boldness. Throughout our time in Aplao, Pedregal, and La Joya, we saw so many different people, I feel so much more capable of being able to evaluate and treat a patient.  In addition, now I think that I really can treat Spanish speaking patients without help! I strived to go into each day with a sense of boldness. Often, I'm too shy to use the Spanish I know, but I knew that even imperfect Spanish would make a big difference in patient care. 
When I decided I wanted to go on this mission to Peru I expected it to be fulfilling, but also have its challenging moments where I became frustrated with the work. One thing that has been so great about this mission is that it's shown that even though I get physically tired from the schedule, I love working with people! It was awesome to be able to see 11+ patients in a day! It has been especially nice being in an environment where we can not only physically work with them, but also where we can openly pray and aid in their spiritual health too. There were several times were I felt what helped them the most was recognizing that spiritual need.
This mission has gone above and beyond my expectations. The team we've been working with and the people we have seen have made a permanent positive impact on my life.

--Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment