Monday, December 16, 2019

Group 1.5 day 1

Today was the first clinic day for us newcomers (the Layman’s, Emily and I) after arriving last night. Our drive in was a pretty eye-opening experience (which didn’t help with all the dust in the air) for many of us and helped us change mindsets pretty quickly. Our first full day was pretty packed with patients, which was a blessing in that we were pushed to get right into the thick of things and keep it moving. We have already built relationships with interpreters and the other staff members and found how the flow works in the clinic. All that being said, by no means do I feel that I have everything (or really even many of the things) all figured out when it comes to treating each individual that comes in. Thankfully we have professors and colleagues that we can rely on to back us up, and that support system has meant a lot to my confidence already.

What has stuck out to me most so far has been how well many of the people understand what it means to follow Jesus. After talking to one patient about God and getting some mixed signals about his understanding of Jesus when asking him certain questions, I tried a different strategy; I asked them to tell me what they knew about Jesus. The reply I remembered best was, “Jesus is everything to me. He is our saviour, without Him I would have nothing, and we should do everything in service to Him.” Many patients gave  similar replies. There are lots of times I wish I would have been able to give an answer as simple and accurate as theirs, and my current plan is to just steal that reply for the future.👍

You can continue to pray that God gives us wisdom in our treatments and interactions, and that we will be lights for His Kingdom.

-Neil













No comments:

Post a Comment